I have always been in love with music, but I am pretty sure that as the years progress that love became an obsession and then a full blown addiction. And I’m completely okay with that. It is an addiction that keeps growing and shows no signs of slowing down, let alone stopping.
In case, you, reader, are wondering if you may also suffer from this but are not very sure, here are some of the signs…
- Have considered selling furniture/appliances to go on a shopping spree at Amoeba.
- Making a pros and cons list on giving up eating so you can use money for groceries at Amoeba instead.
- Forego shopping for things you need (like clothes, and shoes, etc) because one of your favorite artists is going on tour…again…for the third time…in the same year.
- Overdosing every night on E*
- Doctor? What doctor? I’ll just listen to this “Feel Better” playlist on shuffle and I will get better.
- Can only give and receive advice in the form of song lyrics.
- Have music playing at least 21 hours a day. (I prefer KCRW on my radio while I sleep, until the 3am news)
- 90 percent of your wardrobe is band t-shirts.
- Tattooing your body with band logos.
- Your time spent youtube-ing live music performances/music videos > your time watching online porn.
- Will never not refer to your “awesomeness” as jelly and/or milkshake.
- Have a different song assigned as a different type of ringtone for every notification and every contact on your phone.
- Wait until the good part of said ringtone to come on before answering your phone. If you lose the call, they will leave a voice mail and then you hear THAT song.
- Tune boring/gossipy/whiny people out by singing a song to yourself.
- Name your unborn children after your favorite songs.
- Hear a song. Like it. Learn to play it. Repeat.
Etc. etc. etc.
If this sounds like you or someone you know, we should totally hang out and probably get married.
Also, I would like to thank my enablers/dealers: Sophia, Kathy, Ariel, Jason, my bro, and everyone at KCRW. I have put you all in my will and/or saving a kidney for you.
*E = Esthero, Ellie Goulding, Elizabeth Powell, Elisabeth Maurus, Emily Haines, etc. etc.